Subject: Re: speedstepping on amd64 - why not?
To: Tonnerre LOMBARD <tonnerre@bsdprojects.net>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/21/2007 18:43:25
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 18:33:52 +0200
Tonnerre LOMBARD <tonnerre@bsdprojects.net> wrote:

> Salut,
>
> Is there a specific reason why speedstepping is disabled on amd64? I
> have a notebook which supports quite a lot of speed stepping, and I
> would really like to be able to use it, so if there's a known wreckage,
> I am willing to try to fix it (besides porting IBM ServeRaid and LSI
> Logic SASCSI).

Do you mean speedstep for x86_64? if you are saying that, the following
steps must be done:

* Move p[34]_get_bus_clock() from i386/i386/identcpu.c into
  x86/x86/intel_busclock.c (I used a single function merging p3 and p4).
* Move i386/i386/est.c into x86/x86.
* Update amd64/amd64/identcpu.c to run est_init().
* Update some required files like x86/conf/files.x86, etc.
* Update {amd64,i386}/conf/files.{amd64,i386}.

I had this done weeks ago... but I removed the changes accidentally. Anyway
the est.c driver needs changes to make it work on Pentium 4... will work
in Core Duo processor...

Feel free to send patches! :-)

--
http://plog.xtrarom.org/
Juan RP's blog - NetBSD/pkgsrc news in Spanish