Subject: Re: port bio(4) and bioctl(8) from openbsd ?
To: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/21/2007 15:50:49
On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 09:52:31AM -0700, Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:
> > It only shows the logical volumes (this is what openbsd does). It should be
> > easy to show the physical drives instead, or both of them; but I think
> > we're interested in the state of the logical drives (a LD can go degraded
> > even if all physical drives appear fine).
>
> I think we want both.

Well, I looked at this closer, and it's not easy (at last not for mfi nor
amr). The interface proposed by both controllers is hierarchical, and
physical drives appear under logical drives. It doesn't fit our sysmon
model where everything is flat. Againt at this point we just want to know
that something did go wrong in a logical drive; for details the operator can
use the bioctl interface.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>