Subject: /dev/dmoverio and PCI bus transfers
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: George Peter Staplin <georgeps@xmission.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/13/2007 10:45:00
Hi,

has anyone used the dmover(9) kernel interface to create a way to do
PCI bus transfers more quickly using the bus_dma abstractions?  Looking
through the code in 3.1 I don't see anything for the x86 architecture.
I'd like to use dmover for a large framebuffer in my new NetBSD window
system.  It seems like a good abstraction, and I'd rather not have to
reinvent the X11 code for PCI transfers.  At the moment I'm using some
SSE assembly in the nx_vbe_driver program, and ideally I'd like to use
dmoverio, if possible.  I'm also going to write other video drivers
(very slowly) based on the existing X11 drivers, and dmover would
probably be useful for those as well.

By the way, my window system is here:
http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/implementation/software/NexX/

I have a little internals document here:
http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/implementation/software/NexX/NexX_internals2.pdf

Thanks,

George
--