Subject: Re: NFSv3
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/09/2007 03:44:13
On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 03:25:31AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> Hmmmm.  Linux does something very funny with NFSv3 directory cookies,
> so that we have to have a compatibility option on our mount_nfs so we
> can get things right for Linux binaries when running as a client.  I
> wonder if we need something similar to serve some filesystems to Linux
> clients -- but I don't understand what's going on well enough to say
> for sure.

This old thread: http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2001-02/msg00264.html
has a discussion of just what Linux does -- or did, anyway: peek inside
the opaque cookie and splode inside glibc with EOVERFLOW if it didn't
like the value.  Heaven knows if that's still the case, or if it's what
you're seeing, but by looking at the cookie values with tcpdump it should
be possible to tell.

Thor