Subject: Re: NFSv3
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/09/2007 03:25:31
On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 11:49:38AM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

> I moved an ext3 drive to a NetBSD machine (actually, a specific purpose
> domU).

You want to be careful with that; ext3 filesystems may use features that
though technically valid for both ext2 and ext3 filesystems, are too new
to be supported by our ext2fs code -- though the most common, htree
directories, is supposedly implemented in a backwards-compatible way so
there should still be old-style directories we can parse.  I wouldn't
plan on moving that drive back to a Linux host afterwards, however (!).

> My Linux NFS clients mounted it incorrectly with NFS version 3.
>
> mount aragorn:/c1 /mnt
> client# ls -lt /mnt &
> ls: reading directory /mnt: Input/output error

Hmmmm.  Linux does something very funny with NFSv3 directory cookies,
so that we have to have a compatibility option on our mount_nfs so we
can get things right for Linux binaries when running as a client.  I
wonder if we need something similar to serve some filesystems to Linux
clients -- but I don't understand what's going on well enough to say
for sure.

I'm carboning this to tech-kern which is almost certainly a better
place for it.

Thor