Subject: Re: how to pin down sd ad umass?
To: Christoph Badura <bad@bsd.de>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@dspfpga.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/05/2007 21:44:25
Hello,

# Christoph Badura 2007-04-05:
> So, I want to pin down a USB flash drive to a particular device instance
> in some of my machines.  What I care about it that a USB flash stick in
> a certain socket shows up under a predetermined name.

In ideal world, you would write devmon rule to match your USB disk
and do useful stuff with it (I guess what you're after is to mount
it at a well-known mountpoint?).

The old devmon code could actually do exactly what you need -- "run
script FOO when mass storage device appears at given USB port" -- with
its hierarchical matching feature.

But the world being provided as-is and without warranties, there's
no simple way to do it right now as Quentin pointed out.

	-- Jachym