Subject: Re: Revising CPU usage calculations
To: Mindaugas R. <rmind@NetBSD.org>
From: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/28/2007 21:37:50
      Mindaugas R." <rmind@NetBSD.org> said:

> At least, this should be per-LWP and with better heuristics for I/O and
> CPU-hog.

That's questionable.
For example, one of the problems of autonice is it makes X server
slower, and even per-LWP something cannot solve the problem.
The job that X server is doing is a CPU thing (e.g. font scaling) from
scheduler's viewpoint, but it is an I/O thing from users' view point.

> At least, autonice must go into the scheduler specific part, but I
> think it could go out at all.

I rather think the feature itself could be removed.

Is there any one who is still using autonice even in NetBSD?
Note that our default is off.

Apparently FreeBSD people don't use the feature in this decade.
--
soda