Subject: Re: Revising CPU usage calculations
To: None <dsieger@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/28/2007 20:48:00
	<dsieger@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de> said:

> ok, gathering from what has been written so far:
>
> 1. Can we agree that autonice should go into SCHED_4BSD only?

I don't think so.
Is there any reason that autonice is SCHED_4BSD only?
The idea itself (i.e. automatically add a penalty to a CPU hog)
can apply any timesharing schedulers, and 4BSD scheduler doesn't
have to have the autonice feature at all. There are many systems
which are using 4BSD scheduler but doesn't have autonice.
For example, FreeBSD removed autonice more than 10 years ago
(kern_synch.c revision 1.25).

> 2. As there seem to be some good arguments for not using autonice at
>    all, what about making it a sysctl tunable for the 4BSD scheduler?

Well, it's already sysctl tunable, and default off, isn't it?
--
soda