Subject: Possible mbuf leak
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/2007 12:51:17
I recently switched my house NFS server from NetBSD/sparc to
NetBSD/i386, and promptly found it wedging after no more than hours, at
most, with "please increase NMBCLUSTERS" - even after I *did* increase
NMBCLUSTERS.  Since, except for MD code, this was the same kernel
source as the SPARC kernel, which was happy to NFS-serve for months on
end, I tried to think what could be responsible.  The best candidate I
could think of was the Ethernet driver, which was vr.  I swapped out
vr0 for ex0 and the wedging went away.

Now, this is my 1.4T kernel, so I don't expect anyone else to care
about it per se.  But if nobody's fixed an mbuf leak in the vr driver
in the last few years, it may still be present in -current.  (I really
need to dig up how to use the CVS analog of "rlog"....)

Not really a bug report, just a "might want to keep your eyes open for
this if you have your fingers in that code already" heads-up.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign