Subject: Re: Request for comments: sharing memory between user/kernel space
To: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Zeljko Vrba <zvrba@globalnet.hr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/21/2007 09:13:09

> Some things are already available. For instance, we have zero-copy TCP
> write using the vm system. And the vm system method is set up so that
> writing to the data while it's piped-out for transmit will do the right
> thing (trigger a COW).

That's what I assumed.  Is TCP receive also 0-copy?

> My main suggestion is to step back and talk about what you really want to
> do. There may well be easier ways to hook everything together to get there
> both more quickly and in a more-reusable manner.

Hmm, what I'm actually doing would take a pretty long time to explain, and most
of it is doable in the user space.  Yes, I agree, what I've described reminds a
lot of aio.  What I want to do is truly 0-copy disk/network aio to/from a wired
shared memory region.

Thanks and best regards,
  Zeljko.