Subject: LFS metadata updates
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/18/2007 17:19:34
Usually, if I untar pkgsrc on an LFS partition, at the end of the job
CPU usage goes through the roof.

Well, today I thought I'd see what happened when I set
vfs.sync.metadelay=0 (using BUFQ_PRIOCSCAN).

If I do this, I no longer have the problem, and performance doesn't
seem to suffer much.  Obviously, I don't have to use zero,but if
anyone could enlighten me as to a more rational way to tune vfs.sync
parameters for LFS (perhaps along with vfs.lfs.pagetrip), I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,

--Blair

--
Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!
<http://www.wfmu.org/>

"The frivolity and boredom which unsettle the established order, the
vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of
approaching change.  The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the
face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash,
illuminates the features of the new world."  --G.W.F. Hegel,
_Phenomenology of Spirit_ 5:11