Subject: Re: Patches for EST and SMP
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/17/2007 15:43:53
On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 04:47:44PM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
[snip]
> you want to use ipi in the first place because you want to run these
> operations on each cpus.  it doesn't make sense unless the callback
> only operates the cpu on which it's running.

Can we use this problem to introduce a MI interface for running a
callback on a different CPU?

This can be done in multiple ways, e.g. by moving the current thread
voluntarily to a different CPU, by using a messsage thread o neach CPU
to processes a queue etc. This needs some discussion of course, but can
we at least do it now after it was shown that the existing MD ways are
difficult to use correctly?

Joerg