Subject: Re: Patches for EST and SMP
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/17/2007 08:17:28
Moving to tech-kern only.

On Saturday 17 March 2007, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:

> if something behaves in unexpected ways, please investigate why it does.
> please don't commit the code which you don't understand.
> to me, the iteration seems completely bogus.

x86_broadcast_ipi() doesn't seem to get the primary cpu, that's why I added
the second iter.

Why don't you explain the things are there wrong? I'm not a MASTER of
UNIVERSE like you.

> you did it because you thought it was necessary for some reasons, didn't
> you?

Andrew told me that it's necessary to run the ipi handler in the primary
cpu, this is what I'm doing.

I iter over cii, and ci points to the primary cpu; I assign ci->ci_msr_rvalue
the value of the msr_type.

> > > - what's the point of ci_msr_rvalue?
> >
> > Just to know what's the returned value of the MSR in cpuN.
>
> to me, no one in your patch seems to use it in a meaningful way.

Erm, why? ci_msr_rvalue could have a different value of the MSR,
it's necessary to know that it has the same value.

--

http://plog.xtrarom.org/
Juan RP's blog - NetBSD/pkgsrc news in Spanish