Subject: Re: Patches for EST and SMP
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/17/2007 07:43:02
On Saturday 17 March 2007, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> > http://www.netbsd.org/~xtraeme/msr_ipi_handlers.diff
>
> - why iterate over cpus in msr_read_ipi and msr_write_ipi?

My original patch did not use the second iteration, but making
many writes to the MSR gave unexpected results and the value
of the MSRs was not the same.

Adding the second iteration made it to work all the times I tried.

Don't tell me why it's needed, but it's needed. If you have the
information about it, please let me know.

> - why pick the primary cpu in msr_cpu_broadcast_read?

Isn't it necessary?

> - what's the point of ci_msr_rvalue?

Just to know what's the returned value of the MSR in cpuN.

> - for sanity checks, please use panic, rather than printf.

I have them for testing purposes only. I'll replace with panic in
the final patch.

--

http://plog.xtrarom.org/
Juan RP's blog - NetBSD/pkgsrc news in Spanish