Subject: Re: VM_NOSLEEP on vmlocking branch (Re: CVS commit: [vmlocking]
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/14/2007 15:17:39
> my understanding of VM_NOSLEEP for vmem_create is that
> it merely means vmem_create itself shouldn't sleep.

That was on my list of changes to revisit.. I wanted to get the changes
into CVS as they have been bitrotting locally.

> i think you need to change the api or make everything which can
> use vmem interrupt threads.

We would need an additional flag to vmem_create, or an ipl argument. I
have a couple of questions:

- Is it useful to call vmem_create from an interrupt handler, or for it
  not to sleep (VM_NOSLEEP)? I can't see how but there are undoubtedly
  other uses I have not thought of.

- Is it intended that the quantum cache could in the future be used from
  an interrupt handler?

Cheers,
Andrew