Subject: Re: caddr_t removal Q
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/13/2007 15:55:35
> So now you're relying on the brokenness of gcc allowing you to
> perform arithmetic operations on a `void *' instead?

I should hope not.  But arithmetic should never be performed on a
generic pointer; it should be converted to the type for which the
arithmetic is correct.  (If you're trying to manipulate machine
addresses, eg as part of pmap, you should not be using an MI pointer
type in the first place; you should be using some suitable MD type.)

Of course, all that is just opinion. :-)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign