Subject: Re: PCI latency timer values
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/09/2007 18:26:49
On 3/9/07, David Young <dyoung@pobox.com> wrote:
> The latency timer values do look wrong, but I am no longer astonished
> when PCI BIOS screws that up.  What is really extraordinary is that the
> devices' minimum grant is zero.
>
> Is the performance of your system ok?
>
> I see that you have PCI Express on your system.  Maybe the latency timer
> has a different significance on PCIe than on "legacy" PCI.

Overall performance is fine, but I do get a lot of audio dropouts
(some of which is due to lack of azalia mmap() support, but this
couldn't help) and I have a feeling it might be causing "tearing" with
graphics display.  Not sure, though.  I tried poking at the registers
with pcitweak but they didn't change.  I also use a PCIE radeon
because it performs better than my onboard 945.  I do know the 945
uses system RAM and that can cause problems, but intel actually
releases documentation for open source developers ...

I'm also wondering whether other things like back-to-back are set
properly ... It would be nice if pcictl could actually 'ctl'. ;)

Regards,

--Blair

--
Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!
<http://www.wfmu.org/>

"The frivolity and boredom which unsettle the established order, the
vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of
approaching change.  The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the
face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash,
illuminates the features of the new world."  --G.W.F. Hegel,
_Phenomenology of Spirit_ 5:11