Subject: Re: fallout from 'caddr_t' => 'void *' change
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2007 19:55:51
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 01:40:33PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> >> 'volative caddr_t ptr' is a volatile pointer to characters
> >> 'volatile void *ptr' is a pointer to volatile data.
>
> Depends on whether caddr_t is a #define or a typedef.  While this isn't
> variable for us, it would surprise me if there weren't other systems
> that differed - meaning that different people may have written
> "volatile caddr_t" declarations expecting different things.

It was a typedef, otherwise 'caddr_t a, b' would not have done the expected
thing.

I also suspect that some of the code might have wanted a pointer to
volatile data, but many want a volatile pointer.
I started trying to 'fix' the code in src/sys/arch/amiga/dev/grf* but
I suspect it is all broken though...

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk