Subject: Re: cuecat and other barcode scanners
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/06/2007 11:42:53
On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 06:27:30PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I bought a USB barcode gadget from CyberGuys a while back. It emulates
> one of several devices including a USB keyboard, and it "just
> works". I've used it both under NetBSD with ad hoc software and on a
> Mac using Delicious Library -- it was fine.

I can concur with this - I have had the opportunity to play with a few
USB barcode scanners at work, some Symbol ones (including a really
funky wireless "phaser"*) and an Opticon.  All of them "just worked",
plugged them in and they were identified as an extra keyboard device,
point the scanner at a barcode and the code was just "typed" in.

* yes, that is the product name and yes it does look kinda like a star
trek phaser.

--
Brett Lymn