Subject: Re: Missile launchers vs uhid
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/01/2007 09:22:15
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> salo@Xtrmntr.org said:
>> iow, "Ten X Missile Launcher is not a HID device."
>
> It claims to be one (albeit a pretty generic one according
> to the descriptor dumps in Stephen's mail), and there is
> no indication that there is some specific bug which suggests
> not treat it as one.

Agreed.

> I guess the OpenBSD people just wanted to keep the uhid
> driver out, to make the Linux stuff work out of the box.

Agreed again, while this will work, it seems lazy. After all, it's HID
under Windows. OTOH, I like the flexibility of Linux's idea of telling
uhid to go away and leave us to talk directly. It gives more driver
compatibility and doesn't require kernel changes or quirks.

> I'd assume that it would just work to send the 8/64 byte
> datablocks defined in the Python script to the uhid device
> through USB_SET_REPORT ioctls.

I think I'm missing something here. I've tried writing the data using
USB_SET_REPORT (both UHID_OUTPUT_REPORT and UHID_FEATURE_REPORT) by
putting the data in ucr_data[], but it hangs for a while and then gives an
I/O error. Similarly, using hid_set_data() gives similar results.

--
Stephen