Subject: Re: Solution(?) to kern/28804: quotacheck crashes on FFSv2
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/23/2007 15:22:05
At Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:52:42 +0100,
Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> This would be a job for fsck. fsck already has all the informations to
> update the quota file when it's done,

That would be ideal.  Having two separate setps for critical consistency
maintenance is just asking for trouble, never mind that in this case
they both end up doing all the same I/O operations over again and so
cost nearly twice as much to run.

> and quotas should be inclued in
> the journalling system when we get one.

That would definitely be good!

> In short, I think the
> quota system should be more integrated to the filesystem code, especially
> for storage of quota values. It should probably become a metadata of the
> filesystem, rather than a file in the VFS space.

Yes, indeed!

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>