Subject: So I'll bite. M:N w/o SA - how?
To: None <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/21/2007 11:09:03

Subject says most of it.

So how exactly do we do M:N threads w/o SA?

As I understand it, you want CONCURRENCY threads running at once.=20
Obviously you need CONCURRENCY CPUs to really do that.

When a thread blocks in the kernel, you'd like to run something else on=20
that thread, no? Thus you have to somehow let the scheduler in userland=20
schedule a new thread onto the virtual CPU you were using.

If you do nothing, you eventually have all your threads stuck in the=20
kernel, even if there's more work to do in userland. ??

Or is the idea a different way of communicating to userland?

Take care,