Subject: Re: Please Revert newlock2
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Bucky Katz <bucky@picovex.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/21/2007 11:00:06
Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org> writes:

> I poke my head in and look at it once in a while.  Sure, it's broken
> right now.  BFD -- this is -current, and sometimes things are
> broken.  It's not like this is the first time that's happened (and
> certainly not with just the evbarm port).

You're late again, Jason. Thread's over with, and you missed the whole
point of the complaint. It ain't that -current's broken that's the
problem, it's the way it got broken.  If someone had bothered to post
in tech-kern and say "hey we're breaking m:n threads" a month ago, we
would have written back and said "hey, that sucks for us, can we work
with you to preserve them?"  More than that, Andrew committed the code
knowing he'd broken architectures.

The break was intentional. The timing was inappropriate. The user
community wasn't involved.  That's _different_ than "whoops, i didn't
know but I just screwed up -current".  The second is _expected_
behavior. The first is poor practice.

> I think YOU misunderstand what you're asking for.  Here's the simple
> truth: Fixing M:N in the presence of newlock2 involves a lot of work.
> Either:

That's neither simple, nor true, and it's many hours late, but thanks
for playing.  (The word you're looking for is 'moot'.)

> I'm not saying that as the All Powerful Dictator Of The Project
> (ha!  If only that were true, muahahaha!), but rather as an observer
> of the Project who happens to be friends with many people in the
> Project's leadership and has been pretty deeply involved in these
> issues in the past (and to a lesser extent in the present).

I'll put my "deeply involved in the present but doesn't know anyone"
up against your "I used to play here and still know everyone" any
day -- if you'll answer one question: I capitulated. Why are you
still trying to make this into a pissing match?

Don't get me wrong. People have been accusing me of being rude and
angry, and there's nothing like playing in a good pissing match to
show them what I'm like when I'm actually being rude; but you're a day
late and a dollar short on this one.

It's over, Jason. I withdrew the request. People have already started
pulling omap up to 4.0

> Look at it from my perspective -- I've been involved with the
> newlock2 stuff since 2002, and while Nathan Williams was the author
> of the SA- based pthreads implementation, I was the one who stayed
> up all night to merge the branch to the trunk.  In fact, I was also
> the person who wrote the ARM support for SA and pthreads (from that
> perspective, I was somewhat disappointed to see SA-based-M:N
> disappear, but I understand that losing it now helps further the
> Project's longer-term goals).  So, to me, it is YOU who are the
> person who has come late to the table.

You need to let go of the past Jason. That was then. This is now.

If you really want a pissing match, I'll give you a pissing match, but
my heart's not in it. I'd rather y'all come down to Mountain
View. Bring Matt. The Tied House still has OK beer and the first
round's on Bucky.