Subject: Re: Please Revert newlock2
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Bucky Katz <bucky@picovex.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2007 17:25:20
Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 02:45:28PM -0800, Bucky Katz wrote:
>
>> I dunno. #ifdefing out the "new scheduling infrastructure" should be
>> just as easy as #ifdefing in the SA code.
>>
>> Not seeing a problem here.
>
> Sorry, but 1:1 threading is not going away. As others have pointed
> out, if you need stability then you automatically need to use a
> release branch of NetBSD. That is our stated position, and it's
> plain as day:

I don't recall anybody asking for 1:1 to 'go away'. I merely asked for
you to honor a goal you'd previously stated.

>     -current is normally an alpha quality distribution. It isn't
>     even guaranteed to compile.

Yeah, I get that. "isn't even guarenteed to compile" is a mistake that
you're using to cover up a bunch of other problems.

Y'all are busily telling me that NetBSD makes no pretense of being
usable in a commercial environment and that, yes indeed, it's just a
hobby OS.  I can live with that, now that I understand it.