Subject: Re: Kernel compilation issues - where am I going wrong?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@seebs.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/18/2007 19:08:41
In message <87lkivj6s8.fsf@snark.piermont.com>, "Perry E. Metzger" writes:
>Compiling a kernel under NetBSD is very easy, actually. It is much
>more difficult to do under Linux.

Seconded.  The tendency of Linux systems to REQUIRE a RAM disk image
with loadable modules has made it very hard for me to successfully
build a tweaked kernel.  About three hours of work got me one, but
it took a lot of doing.

>Just go into /usr/src/sys/arch/i386, type "config GENERIC", then
>"cd ../compile/GENERIC", then type "make depend && make"

In fact, so far as I can tell, it'll work without a make depend, in most
cases.  I am not sure what the exceptions are.

-s