Subject: Re: phasing out mfs; make init(8) use tmpfs?
To: None <>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/17/2007 05:13:19 wrote:

> A difference of 2252 bytes.  I don't know if that's enough to cause a
> problem with the install media.

Actually people often posts build errors like
" Image is 6328 bytes (6 KB) too big to fit on 1 disk"
or so.

> It makes init bigger. (only a little)
> It puts a stumbling block in the way of phasing out mfs entirely.
> Keeping it as a compatibility feature is fine, but if we're really
> getting rid of mfs we should define a timeframe for when stuff like
> this goes away.  e.g. "init will stop supporting mount_mfs in NetBSD 5"

I don't know if we're really getting rid of mfs, but
if kernel still keeps MFS support, init(8) should do as well.
I don't think it's worth to shrink such small mount_mfs fallback
code in init(8).
Izumi Tsutsui