Subject: Re: safety of UFS_DIRHASH
To: Blair Sadewitz <>
From: Stephen M. Rumble <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2007 12:38:48
Quoting Blair Sadewitz <>:

> I enabled UFS_DIRHASH on a hunch it would help LFS (wow, what a
> difference for pkgsrc builds).
> I have not seen any crashes yet, but I don't think it's been long
> enough to tell.

The crashes that Thor saw were on heavily loaded multiprocessor(?)
systems. I had been using UFS_DIRHASH on my machines for at least a
year and a half without seeing any problems. Let's just say that,
without somebody familiar in that area proclaiming pool(9)'s safe
usage in that code, I would not recommend that people start using it
again if they're concerned with absolute stability.