Subject: Re: struct buf's b_flags B_XXX
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/15/2007 19:26:58
--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

Dear Bill,

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 09:35:46AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 05:06:55PM +0100, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> I do not object. While I have a suggestion, I think this change cleans
> things up in a very good way.
>
> I recommend something like B_DEVPRIVATE or B_DEVPRIVUSE, just to be
> clearer that it's for the device driver's use (as opposed to the buffer
> somehow is using a device). Since it seems the drivers end up making an
> internal define based on the main define (as opposed to the code directly
> using the main define), the length isn't that much of a concern.

i've thought about that too yes; problem is a bit that file systems might
also want to differentiate; so i ended up with the idea of a flag for
devices and a flag for file system use. Maybe we can one day get rid of the
negative b_lblkno's one day ;)

My naming scheme was
	B_DEVUSE
	B_FSUSE
	B_LAYERUSE

but maybe a name like
	B_DEVPRIVATE
	B_FSPRIVATE
	B_LAYERPRIVATE

would do better?

I'll commit then the b_DEVPRIVATE variant for i think thats more clear
indeed!

Thanks for the feedback :-)

Reinoud

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5