Subject: Re: struct buf's b_flags B_XXX
To: None <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/15/2007 09:35:46

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 05:06:55PM +0100, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> Dear folks,
> i'd like to change the confusing B_XXX flag to be called B_DEVUSE since=
> only tape and floppy devices use this flag to mark buffers that are not=
> mormal data buffers.
> If noone objects i'll commit it later. See attached complete patch.

I do not object. While I have a suggestion, I think this change cleans=20
things up in a very good way.

I recommend something like B_DEVPRIVATE or B_DEVPRIVUSE, just to be
clearer that it's for the device driver's use (as opposed to the buffer
somehow is using a device). Since it seems the drivers end up making an=20
internal define based on the main define (as opposed to the code directly=
using the main define), the length isn't that much of a concern.

Thank you for making this change.

Take care,