Subject: Re: BCM5715 not supported
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@NetBSD.org>
From: None <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/26/2007 15:20:18
In message <20070126230316.GC18797@NetBSD.org>,
Pavel Cahyna writes:

>So, the proposed change is OK to commit? Whithout the *S variants for
>now?

If I may, I'd ask you a favour, to not to commit anything for a couple
of days, so I can undo various recent changes, and get the code on
HEAD (if not netbsd-4 branch) back in synch with the Broadcom silicon,
and with the pullups to the NetBSD-3 branch from my own private tree.

>> The bcm5714S and bcm5715S are different beasts and require support for
>> the integral TBI/SERDES hardware which, last I looked, no *BSD bge(4)
>> supports.  So I'd avoid adding entries for them to the table.
>
>Both OpenBSD and FreeBSD have those in their lists of supported devices
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c?rev=1.173
>http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/pci/if_bge.c?rev=1.204
>but maybe they are simply wrong.

Last I looked at the FreeBSD bge(4) driver, it was indeed simply
wrong.  I also know brad@openbsd.org has merged several of my changes
into the OpenBSD bge(4) driver without acknowledging my work.  I'm
also sure that other changes in that driver which are not 100%
correct.  (If you care to invest the time, you can verify my claim by
a very detailed reading of either Broadcom-supplied Linux driver, or
the (now-Broadcom-supported) Linux tg3 driver).

I truly don't understand why other developers, who haven't bothered to
do that research, continue to merge these other-BSD changes back into
our bge(4) driver without at least asking on tech-net, if not asking
me directly.