Subject: Re: BCM5715 not supported
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/26/2007 23:03:16
On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 02:55:49PM -0800, jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu wrote:

> In message <20070124181945.GA726@beta.martani.repy.czf>,
> Pavel Cahyna writes:
> >but if_bge.c contains only:
> >
> >	{ PCI_VENDOR_BROADCOM,
> >	  PCI_PRODUCT_BROADCOM_BCM5714,
> >	  "Broadcom BCM5714/5715 Gigabit Ethernet",
> >	  },
> >
> >Should I just add the BCM5715, BCM5715S (and also 5714S)? And change the
> >description of PCI_PRODUCT_BROADCOM_BCM5714 to just
> >"Broadcom BCM5714 Gigabit Ethernet"?
>
> hi Pavel,
>
> That's... odd, not to say disappointing.  The machine where I
> developed the driver fork merged onto the NetBSD-3 branch was
> committed via a bcm5715.

So, the proposed change is OK to commit? Whithout the *S variants for
now?

> The bcm5714S and bcm5715S are different beasts and require support for
> the integral TBI/SERDES hardware which, last I looked, no *BSD bge(4)
> supports.  So I'd avoid adding entries for them to the table.

Both OpenBSD and FreeBSD have those in their lists of supported devices
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c?rev=1.173
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/pci/if_bge.c?rev=1.204
but maybe they are simply wrong.

I can't comment about the rest of your message because I don't know
those chips.

Pavel