Subject: Re: bce(4) and memory > 1GB problem
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/18/2007 16:28:37
--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 07:59:01AM +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 09:19:47PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > This probably needs some work for Xen, I can have a look next week-end.
> > This shouldn't be hard to implement.
>=20
> I can happily test both native and Xen cases on my laptop.=20

I'm a happy tester.

In initial testing, it works really well for i386 native, with 2G ram.

Xen does need some more work for this to function the way I think
Manuel intends (passing the constraints through to Xen), but it fails
gracefully for now.  With the full physical memory in use, and dom0
given 600M, it produces this error on probe:

  bce0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 17, event channel 5
  _xen_bus_dmamem_alloc_range: no way to enforce address range
  bce0: unable to alloc space for ring descriptors, error =3D 22

Booting the hypervisor with "mem=3D1g" as before still works just fine,
so the test that's tripping above clearly is working as it should.

Booting the hypervisor with all the 2G, but giving dom0 1600M, so that
some of it falls below 1G physical, and the NIC works.

Hooray!! Thankyou again for this work!

I'll pound on it some more overnight.

--
Dan.