Subject: Re: Scheduler project status and further discussion
To: Daniel Sieger <dsieger@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/16/2007 12:36:15
On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 12:58:13PM +0100, Daniel Sieger wrote:

> > - Is there a reason for the run queues to be tied in with the scheduler
> >   implementation?
>
> Yes, there is. Different scheduler implementations may want to use
> a rather different runqueue structure.

That is unlikely to be useful unless:
- you assign a cpu to the scheduler
- one scheduler is higher priority than any other.

I suspect you need to separate process scheduling from process dispatching.

> As an example, think of Mindaugas' Linux-like scheduler.
Is that the one that refuses to allow high priority processes to pre-empt
low priority ones for large fractions of a second ? :-)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk