Subject: Re: u320 pci-e hba recommendation?
To: None <george@galis.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/11/2007 20:22:49
On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 08:08:57PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 07:24:55PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> > >There are two slot types, PCI-X and PCI-E, from the spec you had
> > >attached, you have PCI-E (Express).
> > >
> > >The boards you have linked are all PCI-X.  All three look to have the
> > >RAID controller on the card as well.
>
> I don't know whose mail you're quoting.  However, none of the SCSI or FC
> controllers anyone recommended to you on this list (or that you mentioned
> on this list) have "the RAID controller on the card" so I am not sure if
> your source is trustworthy.

It looks to me, reading your message more carefully, as if you've decided
to use a U320 (parallel SCSI) RAID array.

It is correct that there are almost no Ultra320 PCI-Express cards on the
market.  I'd still urge you to consider PCI-X where you have a wealth
of options for an Ultra320 SCSI adapter (I can make some specific
recommendations if you want).  However, if you really want to go with
PCI Express, you *can* use a card with an onboard RAID controller and
simply not use the RAID portion of the card, either via SCSI pass-through
or by configuring a single JBOD volume on the RAID card.

The one that looks most likely to work with NetBSD is the LSI MegaRAID SCSI
320-2E.  You may find a limit of 2TB on the size of any individual volume
with this card, however (you could probably arrange to have this fixed by
porting, or hiring someone to port, the latest version of the 'amr' driver
from FreeBSD).

Thor