Subject: Re: u320 pci-e hba recommendation?
To: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/11/2007 20:08:57
On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 07:24:55PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> >There are two slot types, PCI-X and PCI-E, from the spec you had
> >attached, you have PCI-E (Express).
> >
> >The boards you have linked are all PCI-X.  All three look to have the
> >RAID controller on the card as well.

I don't know whose mail you're quoting.  However, none of the SCSI or FC
controllers anyone recommended to you on this list (or that you mentioned
on this list) have "the RAID controller on the card" so I am not sure if
your source is trustworthy.

Are you trying to get across that your fileserver is already configured
with PCI Express slots only?  If not, just use something with a PCI-X
slot, and use the PCI-X Apple FC HBA someone already recommended to you.

The other choice that will work with NetBSD is a Qlogic PCI-X (or 64-bit,
133MHz PCI fibrechannel HBA).  I do not know if Qlogic makes any PCI
Express cards but I would think they probably do.  I do not know whether
any such cards are supported by the "isp" qlogic driver in NetBSD, either.

Thor