Subject: Re: Bluetooth module on com(4)
To: KIYOHARA Takashi <kiyohara@kk.iij4u.or.jp>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/11/2007 19:13:50
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, KIYOHARA Takashi wrote:

> > > My LSI vendor is ericsson.  Besides, I think that the initialization of
> > > CSR is also possible. However, I do not have the device of CSR.
> > [...]
> > > I am referring to hciattach(8) of bluez.  The data sheet of ericsson
> > > and CSR was seen.  However, the rest was not able to be found.
> >
> > Hmm.. hciattach(8) does the initialisation of the device from userland,
> > would that not work better? Seems that it makes it easier to upgrade
> > device support if that is not in the kernel..
>
> I don't know that.  However that will work perhaps.
> I be anxious about it,
> Processing for LSI that cannot confirm the initialization procedure
> uncertain, and operation is believed.
> And, the necessity might not be in the initialization only of the
> acquisition of the version number.

I'm not sure I understand your meaning..

From my limited reading, you set up the serial ports as you want them and
send manufacturer specific HCI command packets and parse some HCI event
packets to make sure that its ok. This means essentially that you send and
receive raw character data over the serial port which can be done when it
is opened. Then, when everything is ok you can activate the line
discipline and let the bluetooth stack operate on the rest.

If the setup/negotiation is in the userland, then to add another
manufacturer to the list of supported is easy, just update the program and
compile it (or via pkgsrc) but if it is in kernel, you must update kernel
sources and rebuild which not everybody is able to do..

iain