Subject: Re: fiber channel recommendations?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/09/2007 14:17:00
--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 04:11:10PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 02:27:42PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> >I may need to select and deploy a fiber channel interface very
> >quickly.
> >
> >Reliability, NetBSD compatibility (ongoing) and the usual apply.
> >Price is not too important but it should be reasonable, eg I'm
> >expecting 200 - $550.

I think $500 is an inexpensive price for an FC card.

> >Per PCI/SCSI host adapters in the device compatability page, I see
> >LSI and the mpt driver.
> >
> >Is that a good choice? Do you just plug these things in and use
> >them?  What device nodes will be used?
>=20
> Turns out the device I'm interested in uses scsi hba...
> I'm still curious if there is anything different using fc?

Note: Fibre Channel uses SCSI for the commands, so your use of "scsi hba"=
=20
is a bit weird; in a (strong) way, a Fibre Channel card is a scsi hba. :-)

I assume you're really talking about the parallel SCSI above. It's called=
=20
SPI (SCSI Parallel Interface), or parallel SCSI,when the difference=20
matters.

Many cards use the same interface to the host for Fibre Channel as for=20
SPI. So the kernel won't care about the difference. We will find scsibus's=
=20
and sd drives and so on on the SAN.

Take care,

Bill