Subject: Re: new kpi proposal, sysdisk(9)
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/01/2007 19:30:52
YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:

>> I will say it again: it is what allows a subsystem to say "this
>> physical disk is in use by me, and it is so critical that I don't even
>> trust you to do the handling of wedges/partitions/labels/whatever
>> correctly, and would rather deny all raw access to it".
>
> i agree it's a valid policy, yes.
> but it belongs to each secmodels or such, not here.

let's say we have a secmodel that wants to enforce that type of
policy. it receives a KAUTH_DEVICE_RAWIO_SPEC and vp. how does it know
if the vp is in use by anything?

>>> honestly, i think it's a bad time to implement things like this.
>>> once we finished the transition to wedges, this kind of things should be
>>> more straightforward to do...
>> first let's put a reasonable deadline on when it should be finished.
>>
>> -e.
>
> i'm not requesting you to stop your development until wedge is finished.
> i'm merely saying it would be easier.

okay, and I'm asking if you have a time estimation of when the
transition to wedges will be completed, given the dk(4) man-page says
it was introduced in netbsd 3.0. :)

-e.