Subject: Re: new kpi proposal, sysdisk(9)
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/01/2007 18:57:15
YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:

> do you mean you are going to commit your initial patch,
> ignoring complicated things like partitions,
> "layered" devices like raidframe, etc?

sysdisk(9) does not know about partitions. it knows about physical
disks. I will say it again: it is what allows a subsystem to say "this
physical disk is in use by me, and it is so critical that I don't even
trust you to do the handling of wedges/partitions/labels/whatever
correctly, and would rather deny all raw access to it".

> honestly, i think it's a bad time to implement things like this.
> once we finished the transition to wedges, this kind of things should be
> more straightforward to do...

first let's put a reasonable deadline on when it should be finished.

-e.