Subject: Re: new kpi proposal, sysdisk(9)
To: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/28/2006 22:14:21
On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 07:03:38PM +0200, Elad Efrat wrote:

> if it can be passed in mode bits, and we find a way to resolve the issue
> for raidframe, we might be able to use it, but that'd probably mean
> adding another vnode flag etc.

Hm... I'm very afraid of diving into the V* stuff myself, but...

using the normal device open / close paths has the advantage that the
change of the "in use" database is always in sync with the actual use,
and can't be accidentally (programming error/omission) be forgotten, and
without additional locking issues create - or am I wrong?

We'd have to add sysdisk_open()/_close() to all normal open/close calls
in appropriate places, and use some locking to make sure that the open
state and the "don't let anybody else open it" state don't get out of
sync?

	-is
--
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/