Subject: Re: bge(4) tcp4csum problem -- driver problem or chip problem???
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/19/2006 10:16:24
On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 08:56:17AM -0800, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	Well, I'm not sure.

About what? Please cite only the stuff you're directly answering to;
If I want to re-read my whole message I can find it in my mailbox
and on the NetBSD mail archive.

> Does the netstat -s output count packets which
> are discarded for tcp checksum errors even when they are being transmitted
> from the local box?

No, of course not. The tcp checksum is checked on reception.
So - please specify:

- what machine is seeing the checksum errors - the machine with NetBSD and
  the bge interface or the other?

- what machine is receiving the bulk data stream - the machine with
NetBSD and the bge interface or the other?

> I think it might be transmission, since my test tcp
> traces show us not answering to obvious retransmissions.

Ahem - does that mean you didn't check the tcp checksum error counter
on the other machine? Please do.

> Howevr, the the
> counter for tcp checksum discards in netstat -s output increments very
> steadily as well, leading to my confusion.

> 	Are you suggesting that I might need the tx short work around your
> output lists?

I beg your pardon?

	-is
--