Subject: Continued problems with SMP on NetBSD/alpha
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Tonnerre LOMBARD <tonnerre@thebsh.sygroup.ch>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/17/2006 22:07:07
--huq684BweRXVnRxX

Salut,

I have continued problems with NetBSD/alpha and SMP on my AlphaServer.
It has 2 21164A-2 CPUs, and when I enable SMP, I get occasional crashes
after a while (but the complaint about the network from older NetBSD
releases is gone). Also, if I enumerate the PCI busses a bit (as user!)
with pcictl pciX list, the machine just halts under some circumstances.

The proposed solution to these problems was to use the UP kernel, but
I'm afraid this isn't exactly an option that I'd like to live with. Is
there noone who can debug and/or fix this problem? Unfortunately, my
server is heavily used for various stuff, so it's a bit hard to debug
the problem from there. But still, I think something should be done
about it. I would really like to use NetBSD on this server, but currently
it doesn't quite behave like I should.

Any remarks?

				Tonnerre

--huq684BweRXVnRxX