Subject: Re: acpi fdc: unable to map ctl i/o space?
To: Blair Sadewitz <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/05/2006 12:57:29

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 02:05:07AM -0500, Blair Sadewitz wrote:
> fdc0 at acpi0 (PNP0700)
> fdc0: io 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f0 irq 6 drq 2
> fdc0: unable to map ctl i/o space
> Could someone enlighten me as to what this means, and if there's
> anything I could do to try to fix it and/or figure out what's going
> on?

The issue is that the control register is within the rest of the
register area (i.e., 0x3f0 is already mapped because it's part of the
0x3f0-0x3f5 region).

I can make only little sense of dev/isa/fdc_isa.c;  I have no idea how
that is supposed to work and whether we should expect the control
register to potentially be at that offset, or whether it is an error in
the ACPI table.

Can anyone read fdc_isa.c and fd.c without heavy medication?

Quentin Garnier - -
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.