Subject: Re: gdb attach
To: Nick Hudson <nick.hudson@dsl.pipex.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/26/2006 18:37:32
--eJnRUKwClWJh1Khz

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 07:39:11AM +0000, Nick Hudson wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Here's a patch to make gdb6 attach work in a similar way to the fix I app=
lied=20
> to gdb5 for i386 only so far.
>=20
> The difference is that gdb6 likes to have the filename to display and re-=
open=20
> the filename after the process dies so I've added an exe symlink to procf=
s in=20
> the same as Linux. I'm avoiding the discussion as to whether this is the =
best=20
> way to get the filename from a pid. ;) FWIW, FreeBSD does this as well.
>=20
> Any comments before I commit?

This makes gdb require mounted procfs, which is a serious regression,
isn't it?

(Besides depending on recent change 'exe' being a symlink with
associated reverse name cache overhead, which I tackle in separate
private e-mail).
=20
Jaromir
--=20
-=3D- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=3D-
-=3D- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=3D-

--eJnRUKwClWJh1Khz

--eJnRUKwClWJh1Khz--