Subject: enabling interrupt in cpu_initclocks(9) rather than cpu_configure(9)
To: None <>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/15/2006 00:16:45
In article <>
I wrote:

> wrote:
> > If this is a problem for some of the arches than may be we should
> > reconsider the requirements of where MD code should enable the
> > interrupts?
> I checked 4.4BSD Lite2 sources, then I notice:
> - configure() is called from cpu_startup() (which is called from main())
> - initclocks() (which will call cpu_initclocks(9)) is called from main()
> - there are several initialization and functions between cpu_startup()
>   and initclocks()
>   (but I'm not sure if there is anything which requires hardware interrupts)
> Nowadays, configure() becomes MI and is called from main(),
> confiugre() calls MD cpu_configure(), and initclocks() is
> a part of configure() (and it's called right after cpu_configure()),
> so I guess the requirements noted in the cpu_configure(9) man page
> have been changed...

If there is no objection, I'll also change some MIPS ports
(which use the CPU_INT5 internal clocks) enabling hardware
interrupts (by _splnone()) in cpu_initclocks(9) rather than
cpu_configure(9) to avoid clock interrupts (and softclockint)
until cpu_initclocks(9) is called, as well as macppc.
Izumi Tsutsui