Subject: Re: pthreads internals
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Mindaugas <unex@linija.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/10/2006 21:51:36
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> wrote:
> > Not very easy to do, but a worth-while goal.
>
> Why?  Even under Linux, the kind of "Linux threads" we're talking about
> are processes.  Why engage in a monumental engineering effort to yield
> a result which will probably act less like the emulated operating system
> than what we already have?
Well, as Christos already mentioned, NPTL is not the same processes.
Native threads performs good. There are applications which distributed only
as Linux binaries and uses threading. Many of such applications are used in
production, commercial environment (eg the same Java, Oracle).
Improving performance of such applications would be a benefit.

--
Best regards,
Mindaugas