Subject: Re: pthreads internals
To: Christos Zoulas <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/10/2006 12:19:38
On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 05:14:57PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <>,
> Mindaugas  <> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >1. Linux threads are emulated as processes. Would be good benefit to improve
> >this to use a native threading implementation. The more complex part is a
> >userland pthreads library with specific SA calls. Have we any thoughts about
> >implementing this part?
> Not very easy to do, but a worth-while goal.

Why?  Even under Linux, the kind of "Linux threads" we're talking about
are processes.  Why engage in a monumental engineering effort to yield
a result which will probably act less like the emulated operating system
than what we already have?

  Thor Lancelot Simon

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart