Subject: Re: quad dual core dmesg
To: George Georgalis <>
From: Thomas E. Spanjaard <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/08/2006 19:23:25

George Georgalis wrote:
> I'm evaluating an 8 core 1-u (heh), and I notice
> something strange with the SATA drive, the "hands
> on" person says it's an SATA, but it looks like an
> ATA.  What's going on with pciide0 vs pciide1?

I suspect both the ATA controller and the SATA ports are as yet
unsupported, and pciide(4) matches all devices that advertise themselves
as ATA controllers (which most SATA controllers do as well, barring some
that advertise themselves as RAID or SCSI controllers). So, pciide0 is
the onboard parallel ATA controller and the other pciide controllers are
for the SATA ports.

         Thomas E. Spanjaard