Subject: Re: magic symlinks: uid keyword translation
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/31/2006 11:21:04
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, der Mouse wrote:
> >> 	printf("%s", uid_to_string_buf(uid).str); /* not legal */
> > What's wrong with that?  If a function returns a struct or union, you
> > are allowed to use just one member.
>
> Even when that member is an array, which is "used" by decaying it to a
> pointer to its [0] element?

I think the pointer would become invalid after the next sequence point,
but I am not sure.

> > Try it, or read section 6.5.2.3 of the C99 standard.
>
> Where can I find it?  I thought it was a pay-for-play "standard".

The standard itself is pay-for-play, but committee draft WG14/N1124
is free, and I believe that it has the same section numbering and
substantially the same wording.  A web search should find it.  (I don't
have the standard itself, so when I quote section numbers, I am actually
quoting from the N1124 draft.)

--apb (Alan Barrett)