Subject: Re: magic symlinks: uid keyword translation
To: <>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/30/2006 12:19:36
Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 11:34:16AM -0500, Chapman Flack wrote:
>>Did I get the wrong sense from that earlier discussion?
>
> I think so. Doing @booted_kernel was (as I understood the discussion)
> perceived as yet another way to retrieve existing information and
> represent it in some random other way, while not solving new problems.

Ah, I see. But putting on devil horns for a moment ... a uid is
certainly easy to retrieve by existing mechanisms. Taking the
horns back off, the motivation for either feature seems to be
the possibility of arranging for some desirable behavior from
some class of programs one isn't in an immediate position to
re-engineer, by a method that will suffice in many cases and
just be less fiddly than alternatives.

-Chap